Do you see all these “healthy sweets” and wonder what to do with them? I mean, we are suppose to eat whole foods, but most of us have a love for sweets and chocolates, but still want our clothes to fit day after day. Here is one of my favorite modifications.
You will get your protein, fat, & fiber….and LOW NET CARB!
- Slice the GG crackers into 4 strips
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave (30 seconds, stir, repeat about 3 X’s)
- Layer parchment on a pan, cover the gg crackers in peanut butter and then sandwich them together (4 gg strips per twix Bar)
- Freeze 10 minutes
- Cover each twix bar in a thin layer of chocolate and top with sea salt
- Freeze 10 minutes
Originally posted 2020-06-02 09:58:48.
Want something creamy, decadent, & delicious that is also light and healthy? Look no further #kidapproved. This recipe can be made with broccoli instead of cauliflower if you prefer.
INGREDIENTS (serves 8):
- I large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoon whole wheat flour (1 used pulverized GG crackers)
- 1 ¾ cup fat-free shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup fat-free grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup skim milk (I used unflavored almond milk)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon Red Pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Boil water, add cauliflower and cook until softened (about 5 minutes)
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, & salt. Continue to whisk and add the flour 1 ½ cups of mozzarella and ¼ cup Parmesan cheese. (You will have ¼ cup of each cheese to use later to top the dish).
- Drain the cauliflower and add to the wet ingredients. Pour into an 8×8 baking dish and top with the remaining cheeses and red pepper flakes.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the cheese turns golden.
105 calories, 14g protein, 11 carb, 3 fiber, 8 net carb, 1g fat
(Because I zero out vegetables and only count them for fiber…I journal this as 6g carb, 3g fiber)
Originally posted 2020-02-04 17:35:20.
Quite possibly my favorite salad of, well…EVER! I love how easy, crisp, and fresh this always tastes. Ok, I love how simple it is…
Ingredients: (serves 2)
- 4 cups Arugula
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese (I love a big block of cheese and take a potato peeler to it to make long shaves on top of the salad)
Simply put the greens in a bowl, drizzle with the EVOO and squeeze the lemon on top. Toss and and crack some sea salt and pepper, then top with parm. It is heaven and goes with everything.
- Shaved Brussels sprouts
- Sliced Roma tomato
- Hard boiled egg
- Left over bacon crumbles
- Pepitas (fancy word for pumpkin seeds)
Originally posted 2020-05-25 18:42:03.
We love chicken tortilla soup, and this is a “Chili twist” on that dish. It is extra light and healthy and I don’t have to change anything for anyone in my house. This is kid approved. I skipped the beans (because I don’t like them) and that let’s me use my carbs somewhere else. Feel free to add the beans if you love them.
- 3 medium bell peppers, diced (I used 2 red, 1 green)
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Green enchilada sauce (½ a huge can…about 400g)
- 8 oz. (2 little cans) mild diced green chiles
- 1-1 ½ pounds shredded or chopped chicken (cooked)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup greek yogurt cream cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- *1 cup frozen corn (optional- I skipped it because I just don’t like corn much)
- Spray a large pot with cooking spray, heat to medium/high and add peppers, onions, zucchini & salt. Cook 5-7 minutes or until soft
- Add garlic, and saute 2 minutes.
- Add green chiles, enchilada sauce, chicken, and chicken stock. Simmer on low for 15 minutes
- Stir in greed yogurt cream cheese (and corn if using) and simmer 5 minutes until cream cheese is combined
- I topped individual bowls with lime, cheese, sour cream, avocado, fresh cilantro, (and for the kid’s tortilla strips)!
Originally posted 2020-01-29 16:44:52.
You may not know that this is a thing. It is in the freezer section of the grocery. It is so easy and delicious and a great source of fiber! This is a fast and easy way to serve vegetables that your kids will love.
INGREDIENTS: (Serves 2)
- 1 Frozen bag Riced Broccoli
- Salt and pepper
- Avocado Oil Cooking Spray
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- Spray a nonstick pan with avocado oil and add ingredients. Cook on medium-high heat until warmed through. (3-4 minutes)
You can put all of this in a microwave-safe bowl for 4-5 minutes and accomplish the same thing.
*I use Avocado oil cooking spray over EVO or regular oil because it can handle higher temperatures before turning smoky or rancid. Try it!
Originally posted 2020-01-27 16:19:47.
This is a fast and DELICIOUS dinner that is family approved!
I would suggest that you double the recipe because the leftovers are incredible!
You will thank me for this one!
INGREDIENTS (serves 8)
- 2 pounds chicken breast, cubed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil (or avocado or MCT oil)
- 1 cup Annie’s BBQ sauce
- ½ cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Season chicken with salt and pepper
- Add olive oil to saute pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and saute until golden brown.
- Add the BBQ sauce and simmer 6-7 minutes or until excess BBQ sauce is cooked off and the sauce thickens and becomes sticky and caramelized.
- Remove from heat and top with cheddar cheese
Journaling (0g carb, 0g fiber)
Originally posted 2020-01-27 16:16:52.
INGREDIENTS (serves 8):
- ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 pouch unflavored fiber or (I Tbsp Psyllium husk)
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 cup radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch green scallions, chopped
- ½ cup fresh dill, chopped (I used 2 Tbsp. dried dill)
- ½ cup crumbled low-fat feta cheese
- Shred lettuce and prepare the vegetables, put them all together with the feta in a large bowl.
- Place all the dressing ingredients in a small blender and pulse until it is fully combined
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until it is evenly coated.
Originally posted 2020-05-15 19:31:59.
FOOD MUST TASTE DELICIOUS. That is one of my personal principals. I love to eat, I love food, and I want to be sure what I spend my calories and carbs on is worth it! I don’t want to suffer to maintain or lose weight. It doesn’t work if you will suffer while you lose weight hoping to suddenly be happy after the weight is off. You deserve to be happy while you lose it. That’s the key to keeping it off.
This super simple recipe will soon be one you make all the time. Tag a friend who needs it! #one80eating #cauliflower
- 1 large cauliflower head cut into florets, it is about 7 cups
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup thousand island dressing, I used Primal Kitchen
- Preheat the oven to 400°, coat a baking sheet with parchment, lay the cut cauliflower on the pan and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Top the cauliflower with the taco seasoning and toss to coat.
- Bake the cauliflower for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Cover the pan with foil and bake for another 10 minutes at 400°
- Uncover the pan and either coat the cauliflower with the dressing, or plate the cauliflower and serve the dressing on the side as a dip.
Be sure to take a picture and tag me!
Originally posted 2020-08-28 15:07:36.
INGREDIENTS (2-3 Servings)
10 cups baby kale
The juice of 2 lemons
7 Tablespoons Organic Olive Oil
4 Freshly mashed garlic cloves
1 Tablespoon hot red pepper flakes
Pinch of Salt
Organic Hemp Seeds
1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- In the bottom of a large salad bowl, whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, garlic, and red pepper flakes
- Add baby kale and shredded chicken
- Toss to coat and top with hemp seeds (optional)
Originally posted 2020-01-21 16:07:21.
It’s no secret from my insta stories that I love GG crackers! I get tons of questions about these, like where to find them, why I eat them, and what to put on them.
They are a great high fiber/low net carb way to get your fiber up while keeping calories and carbs low. I admit they are dry & bland. They are not like Doritos or a Cheez-It that you would eat for fun. These are functional and a great way to help you get your fiber number up. Pro tip: you want to keep water close by when you are eating them. I have tried a lot of alternatives but this is the gold standard for high fiber, low net carb, low calorie. Again, not as delicious as a stand-alone but they are a great vehicle for foods like I have below.
- Greek Whipped Cream Cheese, raspberry, ZenBasil seeds (Lady Diana’s fav).
- Kite Hill cream cheese (dairy-free), salmon, & dill
- Rao’s Marinara, turkey pepperoni, & low-fat mozzarella
- Avocado, hard-boiled eggs, everything but the bagel seeds
- Peanut butter and banana and ZenBasil seeds
- Guacamole and turkey and red pepper flakes
- Chicken Salad
- Hummus, cucumber, tomato, & balsamic vinegar
- Scrambled eggs (top with feta if you can do dairy)
Have you tried GG’s yet? What’s your favorite combination?
Originally posted 2020-01-16 16:30:01.